Student rights

The list of rights is a document that states the rights and obligations of students at Lund University. The list of rights has been adopted by the university and applies to Bachelor’s and Master’s students (first and second cycle). The list of rights details rights and obligations relating to admission requirements and selection, the study environment, syllabi and timetables, tests and examinations, degree projects and course evaluations.

Your rights and obligations as a student towards the university and your department are regulated by the university’s policy and national laws and regulations.

You can find more information and the list of rights here.

The faculty has a routine for dealing with complaints related to education, Please read it carefully in order to know how and to whom you should take your complaint. You are always welcome to contact us anytime during the process.

Routine and guidelines for educational related complaints (only in Swedish)

Student safety representatives

As a student safety representative for the Social Sciences Student’ Union, you act as the union’s eyes and ears at your department when it comes to work environment-related issues. It includes both the psychosocial work environment, such as bullying or harassment, and the physical work environment, such as poor lighting or ventilation in lecture halls. You’ll be the one the students at your department can turn to in these matters.

The position includes:

  • reporting work environment-related issues to the HSSO.
  • participating in the annual safety rounds – a walk around the department with safety representatives and representatives from the department.
  • attending SSO meetings with representatives of the other departments and the HSSO.

In exchange you get the opportunity to get (receive) education in work environment, valuable experience in representing students towards the university and a good merit of having been a student safety representative.

If you have questions or concerns about your work environment as a student, you can turn to your student safety representative (SSO). You will find a list below of who is responsible for your department and information on how to contact them.

The head student safety representative (HSSO) is the presidial responsible for general faculty matters and can be contacted at

  • Head Student safety representative: Kristina Måsbäck
  • SSO Department of Gender Studies: vacant
  • SSO Department of Human Geography: Dominika Urhová
  • SSO Department of Political Science: Karin Andersson
  • SSO Department of Psychology: Katarina Hjörneby
  • SSO Department of Service Management & Department of Strategic Communication:Sofie Jakobsson
  • SSO Department of Sociology: vacant
  • SSO School of Social Work: Oskar Åhl

Do you want to be a student representative?

At Lund University we students have a lot of power. Wherever the education is planned there are opportunities for the students to take part and have influence. As a student representative, you can influence course syllabi, literature lists, pedagogics, equality, work- and study environments, quality and a lot more. The student representatives are elected by the student union, and now we open up all vacant positions for you to apply to!

All student representatives at a department are members of the study council of that department. The study council meets to discuss what is happening at the department and what you wish to change. Since the study councils are a big part of anchoring issues with other students it is important that you as a student representative are also attending the study councils meetings. The study council is also a great place to seek answers if you have any questions.

As a student representative, you also gain valuable experiences for your future jobs. You will very early on learn about governmental authority, organisational development, board work and rights and regulations. As a student representative, you also gain valuable experiences for your future jobs. You will very early on learn about governmental authority, organisational development, board work and rights and regulations.

If you are a Swedish-speaking student, you can apply for more positions. To see them, go to the Swedish page. Do you have questions? Write to

Study councils of the Social Sciences Student Union

At departments with enough student representatives, the student union has a study council. This council gathers all the student representatives and decides on what questions to push for and how. To be part of a study council, candidate to become a student representative.

If your department does not have a study council, you can start one! Contact to learn more about this.

The chairperson coordinates the study council by arranging meetings and keeping in contact with the student representatives of the council. The chairperson also represents the study council and the students of a specific department by being a member of the education committee of the student union. To learn more about the position, email

The position as chairperson of a study council is elected by the representative assembly of the student union. You can read more about the position in our by-laws under the Documents page.